Welcome to healforhope.com
How to deal with a schizophrenic family member?
Read more: How to know if you are stressed at work
Schizophrenia is a disorder that affects a person’s ability to think, feel and behave clearly. The exact cause of schizophrenia isn’t known, but a combination of genetics, environment and altered brain chemistry and structure may play a role. Schizophrenia is characterised by thoughts or experiences that seem out of touch with reality, disorganised speech or behaviour and decreased participation in daily activities.
There are ways to deal with a family member with this disorder:
1. Educate yourself about schizophrenia. In order to better understand the challenges your family member may be facing, it’s important to learn about the disorder. Research can provide you with a better understanding of the symptoms and treatments available.
2. Spend quality time together. Spending time with your family member can help them feel loved and accepted. It can also provide you with an opportunity to better understand how their condition affects them.
3. Stay patient and non-judgmental. Having patience and being non-judgmental will go a long way in helping your family member feel comfortable and accepted.
4. Offer support. Offer your family member emotional support and help them find the resources they need to manage their condition.
5. Set boundaries. It’s important to set healthy boundaries with your family member when it comes to their behaviors and actions.
6. Reach out for help. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help from a mental health professional if you need it.
In conclusion, there are medication to help with this disorder. Support and a non-judgemental approach etc. can be very helpful.
Read more: Healing separation – what is it?